Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Introduction to Scotland and the Fraser Clan

Introduction

I was born in Edinburgh but my father took a job in Australia when I was only a year old so I had never really seen Scotland until I saw the movie "Braveheart" with him. I found it tremendously moving to see the lives of people who must have been my ancestors. It's all the more significant to me now as my father and, later, my mother died not so long ago.  (There's a link in the sidebar to read more about them)

The address given is no longer in the family but that was the family home for many years and that was the last place the extended family was together.  Over time member of the family has formed a clan of his or her own but all look back on that house as the home we shared.

I've been most of the way around the world now but my journey won't be complete until I go back to Scotland. I'm not so far away from Scotland now and I hope before too much more time passes to go there.

Alan Fraser


Scotland

The grand history of Scotland is a huge fascination to me, in part to help me understand the origins of my family.  With Frasers on one side and Sopers / Clarks on the other, my heritage is almost entirely Scottish and it has fascinated me to learn more of what has been home to all of those families for generations.

The Celtic times are mystical in many ways and the enigmas of that era are hugely interesting in their own right. With a mythology that stretches back thousands of years, the sources and inspiration of the tales is most intriguing.


History of the Fraser Clan

Brian Fraser wrote an extensive description of the history of the Frasers from a possible origin in France as the 'bearers of strawberries' up through the more notable events in recent history.


Alex and Anne Fraser

My parents traveled much of the world and wound up in America but Scotland was always home and their blog, external to this one, tells that story:  Alex Fraser, Geneticist and Painter.  The link is also in the blog sidebar.

Royalty

The summary timeline of Scottish history is fairly continuous back to 800 B.C.  The history is fairly comprehensive but there is always more that can be said.  The objective is to provide a summary timeline rather than to provide the definitive reference source.  The easiest way to find it is to click the INDEX tab at a the top of the blog to link directly to it.


Faeries

The faeries and other creatures of Scottish / Celtic mythology are many and highly diverse. The sheer number of them is impressive and the variety is incredible.  There are multiple ways to find any particular name:

  • Click the INDEX tab at the top of the blog to show an index into the articles about faeries.
  • Look at the Titles in the blog Archive as that will provide an index into the articles as well.
  • Scroll through the blog, clicking on the names of faeries as you see them and that will take you from one article to another.


Bibliography

These are books I have found very useful in learning more about Scotland.


Links

Click the LINKS tab at the top of the blog for links for finding products made in Scotland and / or learning more about Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment